Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm The Mother Fuckin' Wizard of Art

I'm The Mother Fuckin' Wizard Of Art

I'm a fan of the arts. Namely because at one point in time I wanted to be an artist. I can come up with some pretty weird shit, just you look at my wallet and see all the defaced dollar bills that I carry. If you've ever received change at a starbucks or CVS and it had some cartoon or comic book character on it, chances are I drew it. But much like anything in life, things change and I stopped dreaming of being an artist and got a real job.

That doesn't prevent me from looking to other artist who are pushing the boundaries of what the medium should handle and take it to new levels. With that I want to introduce to you some amazing art. Some of which I will have to find a print of and hang it up in my place because they are utterly awesome in every way possible.







His name is David Macdowell and well, he's drawn a lot of great paintings. I don't know what else needs to be said but let's soak in some more of his work, why don't we?





His take on pop culture is spot on and a lot of these that play tribute or insert one form of media into another, but either putting different films into different productions or putting a show/movies characters into a classic painting/portrait is something that can put a smile on my face.





And as any child of the 80's, his take on a lot of old movies like Stand By Me and the Molly Ringwald films of the time really do have that nostalgic appeal while also not pandering to simple... ok, yes, he is pandering to my nostalgic nature here. While I didn't enjoy all her films, she is a red head and well, I have a weakness for them.








Plain and simple, this dude is nuts. Absolutely nuts.



And hilariously awesome. I plan on picking up a print or two to eventually hang up because they're utterly awesome in every possible way.. known to human possibility. If you want to see the rest of his work and potentially buy something from him, I'd highly recommend visiting David Macdowell's Deviant Art website.


And to be topical, here's three more paintings he did that hold some special meaning as today is the release date of a newly remastered edition of The Wizard Of Oz. High def, extra features and crisp sounds.. OH MY! So enjoy some of his takes on the wonderful world of Frank Baum







Yes.. simply amazing piece of works.

No comments: