Thursday, March 25, 2010

Highway To The Elder Zone - Birthday Talk

Highway To The Elder Zone - Birthday Talk

We're now two weeks away from my birthday and I'm facing a strange dilemma, I have no clue what to expect or do for this annual celebration of getting closer to death. This isn't your typical year. No, this year I roll over two digits.

It's been a while since I've been in the age bracket of a successful Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick television production. Not since my late teenage years with My So Called Life. But sure enough, I'm entering a new era of my life.. my ThirtySomethings. I'm not counting the failed Quartlife series, because really, that was a terrible concept and execution.



So yes, I'm turning 30 and while I don't want to admit to feeling old and I certainly don't think I'm looking any older given that people still think I'm about 24, I'm still sort of getting that nagging thought in my mind that I am old. Yeah it's true that men age gracefully. I'm actually really happy about that. I may have a few gray hairs and I could lose a few pounds, but I'm working on that and the gray hairs can pass as distinguished looking.

I guess the problem here is that I have no idea how to celebrate becoming 30. Even if they say that 30 is the new 20, I have no idea what to do or how to celebrate this moment. It has been years since I had much of any sort of party. My birthdays of the past have been very low key. Low key enough that family members don't even remember them and to be perfectly honest, the bar is really set low enough that it sort of depresses me on how unimportant it they seem.



The typical birthday is spent either working or not doing anything special in particular. From the last few years I spent one with an old friend who I haven't seen in ages and it was pretty neat to just hang out in the park and go to a couple of spots to grab food. Nothing all that unique from a typical weekend hanging out together. Last year my girlfriend took me out to eat and made me a pie. That was really good, but I would consider it very low key.

So I'm faced with this question that I always hate to hear people ask themselves.. where to go or what to do for a birthday. I mean, I actually realize how hard it is to come up with something to do on your birthday without sounding like a self absorbed prick. The idea of a Beers-of-the-world party was suggested and I really liked it. But then I thought to myself that not all of my friends have the same level of beer enjoyment as I do or the idea on how to go about doing that. So I sort of lost hope on that one.



Eating out is also an issue. I don't think my idea of a meal out is the same as many of my friends. While I don't mind going to a TGIF (I do mind), I still go along cause they do seem to like it there and it's "reliable". But to go out for my birthday, I would sort of have to curb the inner food in me. And don't get me started on going to a bar or club. I don't think those birthdays are much fun for anyone as it means you don't get to talk much anyway. I'm just so conflicted on what to do and the level of expectation that I have for myself as this is a sort of milestone birthday. The big 30.. I just don't know.

Then there's the situation where no one knows what to get me. I admit, I am very hard to shop for. When it's Christmas or my birthday, it seems like no one knows what to get me. I guess it is due to always having to depend on myself to pick up whatever I wanted as no one else was going to. Now that sounds completely emo, but it's not. I guess it's just something I have to unlearn or at least not hog up away from anyone looking to show their affection towards me through means of gifts.



Besides, if you ever have a hard time figuring out what I like, there's always an Amazon Wish List to look through... Just saying. If you want any ideas, there's a slew of them in there. Besides, I always go to the fall back comment that if you knew me much, you'd know what I like and dislike. So perhaps you shouldn't get me a Rachel Ray cook book. I doubt she could really count her stuff as "cooked" to begin with.

I'm just sort of in a funk in thinking about my birthday and it's not that I'm getting old (well, partially, I suppose) So I'm asking for your ideas on what one could do for their birthday. What are some things you've done in the past and what are some things you think of when you think "Birthday"?



Anyone? Comments, suggestions? What should I expect with turning 30 and how the hell should I even go about tackling such festivities? It really would be a shame to go into a new age bracket the same ol' way I've gone into the past ones.

Help! Anyone?

No comments: