Saturday, September 24, 2011

Death Sentnce Is Certain......

Death Sentence Is Certain......

...ly an option. Especially when I read things like this:
"For many Americans, agreement with the assertion that innocent people have been put to death does not preclude simultaneous endorsement of the death penalty."
Yes, that's right. Even though people are fully aware that innocent people have been sentenced and put to death by our government in this "blind justice" system, they are still fully supportive of it.

It's something that should have been an excellent talking point and effective at illustrating how what we have is just a 21st century lynching when it comes to the death sentence. Especially in the case of the death sentence a few days ago of Troy Davis.

Speaking of which, perhaps this should be something everyone reads:

To All:

I want to thank all of you for your efforts and dedication to Human Rights and Human Kindness, in the past year I have experienced such emotion, joy, sadness and never ending faith. It is because of all of you that I am alive today, as I look at my sister Martina I am marveled by the love she has for me and of course I worry about her and her health, but as she tells me she is the eldest and she will not back down from this fight to save my life and prove to the world that I am innocent of this terrible crime.

As I look at my mail from across the globe, from places I have never ever dreamed I would know about and people speaking languages and expressing cultures and religions I could only hope to one day see first hand. I am humbled by the emotion that fills my heart with overwhelming, overflowing Joy. I can’t even explain the insurgence of emotion I feel when I try to express the strength I draw from you all, it compounds my faith and it shows me yet again that this is not a case about the death penalty, this is not a case about Troy Davis, this is a case about Justice and the Human Spirit to see Justice prevail.

I cannot answer all of your letters but I do read them all, I cannot see you all but I can imagine your faces, I cannot hear you speak but your letters take me to the far reaches of the world, I cannot touch you physically but I feel your warmth everyday I exist.

So Thank you and remember I am in a place where execution can only destroy your physical form but because of my faith in God, my family and all of you I have been spiritually free for some time and no matter what happens in the days, weeks to come, this Movement to end the death penalty, to seek true justice, to expose a system that fails to protect the innocent must be accelerated. There are so many more Troy Davis’. This fight to end the death penalty is not won or lost through me but through our strength to move forward and save every innocent person in captivity around the globe. We need to dismantle this Unjust system city by city, state by state and country by country.

I can’t wait to Stand with you, no matter if that is in physical or spiritual form, I will one day be announcing,

“I AM TROY DAVIS, and I AM FREE!”
It really is tragic. It's also very upsetting when Warden Carl Humphry began the process of his execution by reading the execution order signed by Chatham County Judge Penny Haas Freesmann. "The court have sentenced defendant Troy Anthony Davis on the third day of September, 1991, to be executed..."

Then he asked Davis if he has any final words. He did. The condemned man raised his head so he could look at Mark MacPhail Jr., who was an infant when his father was murdered, and William MacPhail, the dead officer's brother. "I'm sorry for your loss," Davis said.

Mark MacPhail, who was leaning forward, and his uncle did not move. They stared at the man who killed their loved one. All the while he just said "I did not personally kill your son, father and brother," Davis said. "I am innocent." He asked his family and friends to continue to search for the truth. And to the prison officials he said "May God have mercy on your souls. May God bless your souls."

So now if somebody ever does find evidence that it was really somebody else, they'll be dismissed with "No need to look into it, a man was executed for it already, what more evidence do you want?"

All of which just makes me hate America so much. Well, not really hate America. Just the piss poor justice system we have. But hey, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that America killed another minority. It's like 1 every 57 seconds these days, right?



Oh Haiti Pride, you so crazy. It's sad that I thought people like that only existed in parody. But here we are and well, I don't know what to say.

But hey, at least those poor saps on death row get one good meal before they get injected with instant death, right? Well not anymore.
Texas death row inmates will no longer get their choice of last meals, after the menu request of a man condemned for a notorious hate crime slaying left a bad taste in the mouth of a prominent senator.

Lawrence Russell Brewer, who was executed on Wednesday, asked for two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound (450 grams) of barbecue meat, three fajitas, a meat lover's pizza, a pint of ice-cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

Prison officials said Brewer didn't eat any of it.

Brewer, a white supremacist gang member, was convicted of chaining James Byrd jnr, 49, to the back of a pick-up truck and dragging him to his death along a bumpy road in 1998.

Brewer's dinner request prompted Senator John Whitmire to demand the end of the practice in a letter to Brad Livingston, the executive director of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

"It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege," Whitmire, who chairs the Senate Criminal Justice Committee, wrote in the letter on Thursday.

Within hours, Livingston said the senator's concerns were valid and the practice of allowing death row offenders to choose their final meal was history.

"Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made," Livingston said.

"They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

Man, death row inmates really seem to enjoy meat. And I guess one could ask what's the point of asking for food in quantities you couldn't possible eat all of.

You have to think that if you're going to die, you might as well just pick at everything until you're fucking stuffed beyond belief. I know if I were them, I'd want to spend my last moments on earth feeling tremendously bloated, burping and farting all the way down that green mile. Then once there and given my death stroke, boy will I not be a fast clean up job.

It really does come down to being a pretty good "fuck you" to order so much stuff and then not touch a bit of it. In fact, more inmates should do that. Well. I guess now they can't. But whatever. Way to stick it to the man. You didn't fail to take that final chance to troll the fuck out of the U.S government.

Besides that, there's plenty of reasons to choose this route and go all out. Maybe you want to share with the guards and other inmates who you bribed the guards to let you eat with one final time before you're put to death.

How about if you just want to piss off the prison or the media as a whole in a method to make a social commentary on the prison system itself. Not to mention that this is the first time in decades that you will have too much to eat instead of not enough.

Not to mention that it's the guy's last chance to eat something other than the prison shit food that you've been chowing down on since the Reagan administration and you may want to be able to taste a little bit of everything without having to worry about it.

This is, after all, the first thing you have had control over in the past 20 years of your long prison stay. It also happens to be the last decision you will ever make. So why the fuck not have it your way for once.

Why not? Well, it seemed to piss off the Texas correction board so no more.

No comments: